Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the annual budget for NHS (England & Wales)?
Medical Errors – Adverse Incidents
- What is the most common cause of medical errors?
- Who are the second victims in medical errors?
- How many avoidable incidents happen in the UK each year?
- What is the most frequent adverse incident reported in the NHS (England & Wales)
- How can Design Thinking address medical errors?
- Why are Medical Errors the 3rd biggest cause of death in the US?
- Can an organisation quantify in financial terms the cost of errors?
- Where do most medication errors occur?
- What is the most frequent type of medication error?
- What is the most common cause of medication error?
Reporting Medical Errors
- Does reporting incidents work?
- What stops clinicians reporting adverse incidents?
- Do your employees think – “what is the point in reporting, nothing changes”
- Is it worth reporting an incident?
- Have you asked your employees what they think about incident reporting?
- Is your incident data telling you what you need to know?
- How does the culture of your organisation impact patient safety?
- What is a Just Culture?
- How could a Just Culture work for organisation and clinicians?
- Are your teams accountable or responsible?
- How do you embed accountability and responsibility?
- Why is the inter-play between professional and personal accountability and responsibility important?
Learning from Medical Errors
- Why do the same types of incidents keep occurring?
- How effective are root cause analysis investigations?
- What’s wrong with serious incident investigations?
- How can an organisation measure learning?
- How does an organisation know if it is learning from errors or near misses?
- Do mitigations really work, how do you know?
- What is the real cost of not learning?
- How effective is learning in your organisation?
- How do we learn effectively?
- How do you know if your risk management is effective?
- Why are all staff responsible for clinical risk management?
- How can you encourage greater engagement in risk management?
- Why underwriters value clinical risk management strategies?
- How can you maximise incident data as clinical intelligence?
- What is early disclosure?
- What is the Duty of Candour?
- Has the Duty of Candour been effective?
- What is the most important aspect of Duty of Candour?
Clinical Negligence Claims
- Does the UK have a claims culture?
- How much does the NHS England and Wales spend on clinical claims?
- Should you be worried about being sued for compensation?
- Do claims impact future indemnity costs?
- How can ‘distressed doctors’ gain indemnity?
- What types of clinical negligence claims cost the most?
- How have clinical negligence claims changed in the UK over the past 10 years?